I am an independent consultant at Richard Barfield Advisory Services Limited (‘RBAS’). Prior to that, I was a director in PwC’s consulting practice where I advised financial services clients on risk and regulatory issues.
After over 25 years, I retired from PwC at the end of 2016. Since then, I have followed the Brexit debate with great interest, which led me to:
- Develop the Brexit FactBase website to provide accessible and objective facts on Brexit
- Write a briefing for non-specialists on UK trade and the World Trade Organisation (with Sir Martin Donnelly, Andrew Sentance CBE, Professor L Alan Winters and others – September 2018).
My career in advisory services involved working for clients in many industries and countries. In addition to consultancy, I have held senior line management positions, seconded from Coopers & Lybrand as Finance Director to Barclaycard. Before PwC, I was Finance Director at Hertz UK.
I am an experienced presenter and conference speaker. My publications while at PwC included:
- A Practitioner’s Guide to Banking Regulation: Mastering the New Regulatory Landscape (Thomson Reuters, November 2016).
- A Practitioner’s Guide to Basel III and Beyond (Thomson Reuters, June 2011).
I am a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and a graduate of Manchester University.
Thanks to the following for their help on the Brexit FactBase:
- David Corless for collaborating with me on the initial presentation in 2016 and providing helpful comments on the website.
- David Hitchcock of Logical Events (http://logicalevents.org) who has provided sustained advice, help and guidance on the development of the web version of the Brexit FactBase.
- Commenters on drafts of the FactBase sections including Charles Tannock MEP, Professor L. Alan Winters, Professor Jonathan Portes, Professor Catharine Macmillan, Michael O’Connor, Mike Smith, Naomi Weir and others.
- Carlos Ribeiro and Marcio Bento of Inspirart in Lisbon who provided creative input to the design of the site and Maruf Rahman at BrightCherry for his valuable review.
The Brexit FactBase draws on many excellent sources including:
- House of Commons Library, House of Commons Committees, House of Lords Committees, European Commission, Eurostat, Office of National Statistics
- FullFact, IMF, Institute for Government, Institute for Fiscal Studies, Migration Observatory, OECD, United Nations, World Bank
- Bruegel Institute, Chatham House, EY, Friends of the Earth, KingsFund, KPMG, Marine Conservation Society, PwC, Rand Corporation
References to sources are provided throughout the website.
Richard Barfield Advisory Services Limited
In addition to Brexit, we provide risk and regulatory advice. We specialise in prudential regulation including risk appetite, stress testing, risk and remuneration and capital management. For further information, please contact Richard Barfield at email@example.com.
An independent consulting firm, Richard Barfield Advisory Services Limited is incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 09993013.