I am an independent consultant, previously a director in PwC’s consulting practice where I advised financial services clients on risk and regulatory issues. After over 25 years, I retired from PwC at the end of 2016. I am currently acting as an advisor to Hogan Lovells.
I follow the Brexit debate with great interest, which led me to:
- Develop Brexit FactBase to make objective facts on Brexit freely available
- Publish an extensive briefing for non-specialists on UK trade and the World Trade Organisation (with Sir Martin Donnelly, Andrew Sentance CBE, Professor L Alan Winters, George Peretz QC, Professor George Yarrow and others – September 2018)
- Write articles for Gina Miller’s ‘End the Chaos’ Campaign on ‘No deal’ and WTO rules (February 2019) and for the Conservative Group for Europe on ‘No deal’ – are the people right? (April 2019) and Challenges with Common Market 2.0 (April 2019)
My career has involved working for clients in many industries and countries. In addition to consultancy, I have held senior line management positions, seconded from Coopers & Lybrand as Finance Director to Barclaycard and, before Coopers, as Finance Director at Hertz UK.
I am an experienced presenter and conference speaker, a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants and a graduate of Manchester University.
Thanks to the many people who have helped me develop Brexit FactBase, including:
- Charles Tannock MEP, Professor L. Alan Winters, Professor Jonathan Portes, Professor Catharine Macmillan, Peter Ungphakorn, Michael O’Connor, Mike Smith, Naomi Weir and others who commented on drafts of the FactBase sections.
- Several users for their helpful feedback and suggestions – particularly those who support leaving the EU.
- David Hitchcock of Logical Events (http://logicalevents.org) for sustained advice, help and guidance on the development of the web version of the Brexit FactBase.
- Carlos Ribeiro and Marcio Bento of Inspirart in Lisbon for creative input to the design of the site and Maruf Rahman at BrightCherry for his valuable review.
- David Corless for collaborating with me on the initial presentation in 2016 and providing helpful comments on the website.
The Brexit FactBase references many excellent sources including:
- House of Commons Library, House of Commons Committees, House of Lords Committees, European Commission, Eurostat, Office of National Statistics
- FullFact, IMF, Institute for Government, Institute for Fiscal Studies, Migration Observatory, OECD, United Nations, World Bank
- Bruegel Institute, Chatham House, EY, Friends of the Earth, KingsFund, the Lancet, KPMG, Marine Conservation Society, PwC, Rand Corporation
Richard Barfield Advisory Services Limited (‘RBAS’) is a consulting firm which provides advice on Brexit and prudential risk and regulatory matters. For further information, please contact Richard Barfield at email@example.com.
RBAS is incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 09993013.