I am an independent consultant and adviser. I am Managing Director of Richard Barfield Advisory Services Limited and adviser to Hogan Lovells. This follows a long consulting career with PwC where I advised financial services clients on risk and regulatory issues.
My articles and papers on Brexit issues include:
- Services trade – mind the gap (April 2022) for UK in a Changing Europe
- The red-tape curtain – the new costs afflicting businesses after Brexit (January 2021)
- A briefing for non-specialists on UK trade and the World Trade Organisation (with Sir Martin Donnelly, Andrew Sentance CBE, Professor L Alan Winters, George Peretz QC, Professor George Yarrow and others – September 2018)
- Articles for:
- Conservative Group for Europe on ‘No deal’ – are the people right? (April 2019) and Challenges with Common Market 2.0 (April 2019) and the Johnson deal (October 2019)
- Gina Miller’s ‘End the Chaos’ Campaign on ‘No deal’ and WTO rules (February 2019)
Earlier in my career, I was seconded as Finance Director to Barclaycard and was Finance Director at Hertz UK. I am a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants.
Thanks to the many people who have helped me develop Brexit FactBase, including:
- Dr. Charles Tannock, Professor L. Alan Winters, Professor Jonathan Portes, Professor Catharine Macmillan, Peter Ungphakorn, Michael O’Connor, Mike Smith, Naomi Weir and others who commented on drafts of the FactBase sections.
- Several users for their helpful feedback and suggestions – particularly those who support leaving the EU.
- David Hitchcock of Logical Events for sustained advice, help and guidance on the development of the Brexit FactBase website
- Carlos Ribeiro and Marcio Bento of Inspirart in Lisbon for creative input to the design of the site and Maruf Rahman at BrightCherry for his valuable review.
- David Corless, who collaborated with me on the initial presentation in 2016 and provided helpful comments on the website as it developed.
The Brexit FactBase references many excellent, authoritative sources including:
- Government and parliamentary bodies such as House of Commons Library, House of Commons Committees, House of Lords Committees, European Commission, Eurostat, Office of National Statistics;
- International bodies such as OECD, United Nations, World Bank, World Trade Organisation, IMF;
- Well-regarded independent bodies such as Bruegel, Centre for European Reform, Chatham House, FullFact, Institute for Fiscal Studies, Institute for Government, Migration Observatory (Oxford University), National Institute for Economic and Social Research, UK in a Changing Europe, UK Trade Policy Observatory (Sussex University)
- Professional services firms and specialist bodies including: Deloitte, EY, KPMG, Mercer Oliver Wyman, PwC.
- Specialist bodies such as Friends of the Earth, KingsFund, Marine Conservation Society, Rand Corporation.
Richard Barfield Advisory Services Limited (‘RBAS’) is a consulting firm which provides advice on Brexit and prudential risk and regulatory matters. For further information, please see the RBAS website.
RBAS is incorporated in England and Wales with registered number 09993013.